6 November 2019
Gunnedah Shire has some amazing people and it’s time to celebrate them.
Nominations are now open for the Gunnedah Shire Council Australia Day Awards 2020 and Council needs your help to find our outstanding citizens.
“This is an opportunity to say thank you to some of the people who help make Gunnedah Shire a great place to live,” Gunnedah Mayor Jamie Chaffey said.
“We all know someone who has made a difference, whether it is through helping out the people next door, or putting hundreds of hours into charity work.
“They could be businesspeople or volunteers, sportspeople or retired people who are enriching the community.
“We need as many people as possible to nominate citizens so we can recognise the contribution these people have made.”
There are 11 categories in Gunnedah Shire Council’s Australia Day Awards for 2020. They are:
• The Citizen of the Year Award (21 and over)
• The Young Citizen of the Year Award (20 and under)
• The Ossie & Beryl Campbell Memorial Volunteer of the Year Award
• The Eve Turner Perpetual Trophy (for a retired person who has continued to dedicate their time and efforts to impart their knowledge and skills to others in the community, and to assist people to attain higher goals in life).
• The Community Organisation and/or Event Achievement Award
• The Max & Mikie Maas Good Neighbour Award
• The Sportsperson of the Year Award (21 and over)
• The Junior Sportsperson of the Year Award (20 and under)
• The Junior Sports Team of the Year Award (20 and under)
• The Sports Team of the Year Award
• The Ivan Towns Memorial Award (in recognition of the work done by a coach).
Nominations close at 5pm on Friday, January 10, 2020, and the award ceremony will be held on Saturday, January 25 at Gunnedah Town Hall.
To nominate and find out more, visit www.gunnedah.nsw.gov.au
Nomination forms are also available from the Gunnedah Shire Library in Conadilly Street, The Civic Centre on Chandos Street, or the Gunnedah Shire Council Building on Elgin Street.
If you would like assistance with nomination completion and understanding the categories, contact Jacinta Cipolla at Gunnedah Shire Council on 6740 2100.
Photo caption: Australia Day is a great time to recognise the contributions of our citizens.
Media contact: Eliza Gallen (02) 6740 2100.