Skip to content

Do I Need Approval

Do I Need Approval

Types of Approval

Before you undertake any development or building works, you will need to determine what approvals are required.
Certain types of low-impact development may be carried out as Exempt or Complying Development. All other development will require a Development Application (DA) to be submitted to Council.

Exempt development – is of a minor nature and may be carried out without development approval. For this type of development to be carried out without approval, all of the criteria and requirements specified in the relevant planning instrument must be met, including compliance with the Building Code of Australia. If any of the criteria cannot be fully met, a complying certificate or development approval must be obtained before carrying out the work or development.

Complying Development – relates to specified small-scale, low-impact development, which complies with pre-set criteria detailed in a State Policy or Local Environmental Plan. This type of development can be determined by either council or private accredited certifier.

To find out whether your proposal is eligible to be exempt or complying development, please refer to the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Development Application – most building works require a Development Application to be lodged with Council unless it is an Exempt or Complying Development. A Development Application (DA) is a request that you can make to Council to carry out various types of development such as (but not limited to):

  • Erecting, altering or adding to a building
  • Subdividing land
  • Strata subdividing a building
  • Changing the use of a building
  • Demolition
  • Erecting or installing a swimming pool
  • Other building works

Before commencing any works please consult with Council's Planning staff, to ensure that all of the requirements and criteria will be satisfied. Please call our Customer Service Team on 02 6740 2100 for more information.