26 May, 2020
Gunnedah residents have had their say and helped Gunnedah Shire Council develop a statement that sets out the community’s land use aspirations for the next 20 years.
The Draft Future 2040 – Gunnedah Shire Local Strategic Planning Statement is now on public exhibition.
Gunnedah Mayor Jamie Chaffey said the plan provided a vision and framework to guide detailed land use planning to help the shire grow in a vibrant, competitive and sustainable way.
“This important document will help Gunnedah Shire Council prepare for the next 20 years,” Cr Chaffey said.
“Future 2040 will ensure growth happens in a sustainable and consistent way, while maintaining low unemployment.
“It will help inform any changes to the Shire’s Local Environmental Plan and Development Control Plan.
“The community has taken part in extensive public consultation to help put Future 2040 together as a road map that takes on board the ideas of our residents and aligns future land use with the Shire’s strategic plan.
“Times have been difficult, but the Shire continues to show its resilience, to grow and to attract infrastructure development and investment. This plan will help us guide that growth effectively and responsibly into the future.”
All councils are required to have to have a Local Strategic Planning Statement under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.
Gunnedah Shire’s Future 2040 aims to:
• Strengthen Gunnedah Shire’s productivity and competitiveness
• Nurture quality lifestyles and sustain population growth
• Value, protect and diversify Gunnedah Shire’s primary production land and natural resources
• Promote regional connections to ensure a diverse industry base with a skilled and stable workforce
• Build effective responses to climate change and natural hazards
• Preserve the environment and protect the heritage, history and character of Gunnedah Shire.
Gunnedah’s Vision Statement for Future 2040:
“By 2040, Gunnedah Shire will enjoy exceptional lifestyle opportunities and a prosperous and diverse economy built upon our education, skills, natural resources, rich cultures and heritage.
The idyllic, liveable and close communities are the heart of our beautiful, healthy and unique rural character which attracts residents and visitors who seek a sense of belonging.
Our community is a leader in sustainable and innovative approaches so future generations and Traditional Custodians can continue to enjoy abundant and healthy natural environments and a desirable climate.
Together we see a future beyond 2040 where we continue to harness connections that provide pathways for goods, services, information and people to move into and around the Shire.”
• 60 community members were involved in workshops
• 1,200 issues and opportunities were raised in the workshops
• 80 people responded through surveys
• 1,308 visits to the social pinpoint site
• 141 comments on the social pinpoint site
• 507 social pinpoint interactions
Submissions on the Draft Future 2040 – Gunnedah Shire Local Strategic Planning Statement close on Thursday, June 25. The document can be viewed here.
Media contact: Eliza Gallen (02) 6740 2100.