10 January, 2023
Time is running out to nominate outstanding individuals and organisations for Gunnedah Shire’s 2023 Australia Day Awards.
Nominations are due by Monday, January 16 for the annual awards which recognise and honour individuals and groups in the local community who have worked to shape and enrich the Shire.
Gunnedah Shire’s Australia Day Working Group Chair and Deputy Mayor Cr Rob Hooke said the AustraliAusta Day Awards were an important way to highlight the Shire’s community champions.
“Our community is the sum of the people within it, and we have some amazing people in our shire who contribute their time and talents to many worthwhile endeavours,” Cr Hooke said.
“We would love to see locals recognised in all areas of the community, from sport, to volunteering, to cultural and community achievements, and environmental contributions.
“If you know someone who deserves to be acknowledged for their valuable input in our community, I urge you to fill out a nomination form by 5pm on Monday.”
The 13 categories in Gunnedah Shire Council’s Australia Day Awards are:
- Citizen of the Year Award (21 and over);
- Young Citizen of the Year Award (20 and under);
- Ossie and Beryl Campbell Memorial Volunteer of the Year Award;
- Eve Turner Perpetual Trophy recognising a retired person who has continued to dedicate time and effort to the community;
- Community Achievement Award for a person or group who has made a significant contribution;
- Cultural Achievement Award recognising a person or group celebrating cultural diversity;
- Max & Mikie Maas Good Neighbour Award;
- Sports Person of the Year Award (21 and over);
- Junior Sports Person of the Year Award (20 and under);
- Junior Sports Team of the Year Award (20 and under);
- Sports Team of the Year Award;
- Ivan Towns Memorial Award recognising the work of a coach; and
- Environmental Citizen of the Year Award (open age category).
Nomination forms, with more details about these categories, are available at https://thecivic.com.au/live-theatre--events. Hard copies are available at Council’s Administration Building at 63 Elgin Street and Gunnedah Visitor Information Centre in Chandos Street.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, January 16.
Winners will be announced during the Australia Day Awards Dinner on Wednesday, January 25.
Caption: It’s time to get nominations in for Gunnedah Shire’s Australia Day Awards. Pictured is Philippa Murray receiving the 2022 Community and Cultural Achievement Award from Cr Rob Hooke on behalf of the Dorothea Mackellar Memorial Society. Photo: Gunnedah Times
For more information, contact Gunnedah Shire Council’s Communications team on (02) 6740 2100.